The focus in the Primary School is building strong foundations in academics, faith, and community. The Primary School provides a spiritual and educational environment valuing the development and growth of each child. Students explore a curriculum that provides hands-on learning and opportunities to deepen their faith. Small class size (average class size: 24) reinforces the sense of community.
Teaching teams provide continuity of instruction between the two classes in each grade and across grade levels. Each subject carefully builds on the skills mastered in the previous grade and teachers use standardized approaches to ensure a natural and continuous flow of learning. Saint Agnes uses a Balanced Literacy approach to teaching language arts, incorporating a comprehensive program that includes reading, writing, speaking, listening, and viewing. This approach includes teaching phonics, grammar skills, reading and comprehension strategies, and writing forms and skills. Math and science includes flexible small group study, manipulatives, the scientific method, and hands-on activities.
Highlights of the Primary School:
- Faith formation includes daily prayer, weekly Mass, monthly Virtues Program, quarterly Penance services, and Prayer Partners Program, which matches older and younger students for Mass and other activities.
- Teachers in K-3 received training in Orton-Gillingham, a multi-sensory approach to teach reading, writing and comprehension.
- Teaching teams have weekly meetings to coordinate curriculum, lessons, teaching techniques, and best practices.
- First grade students dress as their Patron Saint on All Saints Day and introduce themselves to the entire student body.
- Second graders lead daily school-wide prayers as they prepare for First Penance and First Holy Communion.
- Third graders choose a state for year-long in-depth study culminating in a State Fair when each child presents projects completed during the year.