Daily religious instruction and school-wide prayer, weekly all-school Mass, the monthly Virtues Program, and sacramental preparation are the cornerstones of building the faith community.
Learning and living the faith are essential in the Christ-centered learning environment of Saint Agnes. Each day starts with school-wide prayers led by second-grade students preparing for Penance and First Holy Communion. All student activities — assemblies, lunch, and after-school programs — begin with a prayer.
Daily formal religious instruction is conducted in the classrooms according to Arlington Diocesan guidelines and is reinforced as teachers lovingly incorporate Catholic values throughout the day. Students receive 180 hours of religious education during the school year and are encouraged to express their faith in many creative ways. Evidence of religious education can be seen in the art and writing displayed throughout the school halls.
The entire school attends Mass together each week. Students prepare the weekly liturgy and participate as lectors, cantors, gift bearers, and members of the choir.
Parish priests are actively engaged in school activities and thoroughly supportive of Saint Agnes Catholic School. Our pastor is on hand for school-wide assemblies, PTO meetings, and other activities. Our parochial vicar reinforces and supplements religion lessons during his weekly visits to the classroom.
Special religious events include:
- Pre-K preparation and participation in Saint Agnes Feast Day
- 1st grade presentation of All-Saints Day assembly
- 2nd grade preparation for Penance and First Holy Communion
- School-wide Christmas Prayer Service
- 8th grade presentation of the Nativity and Living Stations of the Cross
- May Crowning of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- Lenten activities including weekly prayer services, Stations of the Cross, and Penance